Quick Exit

Click above to quickly exit to another website.

If you need to hide your visit, follow the advice here.

0800 650 654 24/7 Victims Information Line

Parole hearings

A parole hearing is when the New Zealand Parole Board decides whether to release the offender on parole.

You can make a submission to the Parole Board for them to consider at the parole hearing. You can include anything in your submission you think the Parole Baord should know. Victim Support can help you with this. You may also be able to get financial assistance to help you attend a parole hearing.

Contact the Parole Board on 0800 PAROLE – 0800 727 653 or email info@paroleboard.govt.nz.

Find out when there will be a parole hearing

Most offenders sentenced to more than two years in prison will have a parole hearing after serving one third of their sentence. If the offender was sentenced to life imprisonment, they will be subject to a minimum non-parole period of 10 years.

Anyone can make a submission to the Parole Board about an offender.

If you are registered on the Victim Notification Register you'll be automatically notified of a parole hearing and invited to make a submission.

Make a submission to the Parole Board

You can make your submission in writing, by video conference or in person. The Parole Board will tell you how to do this and where to send your submission.

If you are registered on the Victim Notification Register you can get information, like details of any programmes the offender did in prison or any convictions imposed since the start of their sentence, to help with your submission. Contact the Department of Corrections on victiminformation@corrections.govt.nz or (04) 460 3064.

The offender can usually read your written submission, or a summary of your oral submission, but your contact details will be deleted and the offender won't be able to keep a copy.

You don’t have to make a submission if you don't want to. If you're a registered victim, you will be told the Parole Board's decision whether you make a submission or not.

Can I get support?

You can get support to help you take part in the parole process. Victim Support or your own support person can:

You may also be eligible for financial assistance to help with the costs of attending a parole hearing – check with Victim Support on 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846)

More information about parole hearings
Read about your rights when the offender has a parole hearing

Right to make a submission relating to parole or extended supervision orders

This right only applies when the offender is serving more than two years in prison.

If you are a victim of a serious crime and you are registered on the Victim Notification Register you will automatically be told when the offender is having a parole hearing. You have the right to make a written or verbal submission, or both, to the Parole Board. The Parole Board must consider your submission before making a decision. The Parole Board may show your submission to the offender, but will remove your contact details.

You have the right to ask for certain information from the Department of Corrections to help you make your submission. You only need to ask once – for future parole hearings the information will be automatically sent to you.

For offenders who have been convicted of an serious sexual or violent crime, the Department of Corrections might apply for an order to monitor the offender after they are released from prison (Extended Supervision Order). If Corrections applies for the order, you can make a submission to the court. To do this, you need to be a registered victim.

You can also make a submission to the Parole Board about making special conditions on an Extended Supervision Order.

Last modified: