Quick Exit

Click above to quickly exit to another website.

If you need to hide your visit, follow the advice here.

0800 650 654 24/7 Victims Information Line

Staying informed about the investigation

Victims of a crime have a right to information about the progress of the investigation, unless the disclosure might jeopardise the investigation.

How to contact the police

When you report the crime, the police will tell you how to contact them. You should quote your reference number whenever you contact the police.

You can email the officer in charge of your case (firstname.lastname@police.govt.nz). Your email should include your reference number and telephone number in case the officer needs to call you back.

If you don't have the officer's name, call or visit the police station(external link) where you made the complaint.

Support and language assistance 

You can ask a support person to assist you when making inquiries about your case. You can also ask for an interpreter if you don’t speak English well.

Read about your right to be told what is happening with the case

Right to be given information about investigation and criminal proceedings

Victims of crime have the right to be told within a reasonable time what is happening with the case, unless the information could harm the investigation or the criminal proceedings.

This might include information from police, court staff or the prosecutor about:

  • charges filed against the defendant
  • reasons for not laying charges
  • your role as a witness
  • when and where the hearings will take place
  • the outcome of any criminal proceedings, including any proceedings on appeal
  • an offender progress on a plan agreed at a family group conference.

You can ask for this information to be given to someone else who will then explain it to you.

Last modified: