This statement applies to personal information collected through www.victimsinfo.govt.nz (external link)
Collecting personal information
We do collect personal information that you choose to give us while using our website and its services, for example your email address. We only use this personal information for the purpose(s) specified at the point of collection.
Sharing your information
We do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons we obtained the information was to give it to someone else
- you have consented
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 1993 or by any other law. For example, to avoid prejudice to the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences; for law enforcement; for the protection of public revenue; or for the conduct of court or tribunal proceedings
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health or
- the information is to be used in a way that will not identify you; or it is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
Access to personal information we hold about you
You can ask us to give you any information that we hold about you and to make any changes to that information that you request. Email the Victims Centre to do this.
Automatic collection of information
We use Google Analytics to create summary statistics that allow us to assess the number of visitors to different sections of the website, identify what information is of most and least interest, monitor system performance, and help us make our website more useful to visitors. To do this, Google Analytics collects and stores the following data when you visit the website:
- Your service address (IP address)
- The date, time and duration of your visit to the site
- The pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- The type of browser you used.