Support and services
You can get support to help you deal with the impact of a crime. This section has information about support and services for victims of crime.
- There are government agencies and community organisations that provide information and support to victims of crime in New Zealand.
- You may be able to get financial assistance to help cover some of the costs associated with the crime.
- Victims of crime can access free legal information and advice.
- There are services to support you when you go to court.
Victims Information Line
The Ministry of Justice's Victims Information Line - 0800 650 654 - is a free 24/7 service and provides:
- information about your rights
- advice about reporting a crime
- information about the legal process, including after the offender is sentenced
- connections to other support services in your area.
Victims of crime have rights about how they are treated and the information they can receive. You can read about victims' rights on this website or talk to someone from a support agency, the Police or the Victims Information Line about what you can expect.