Quick Exit

Click above to quickly exit to another website.

If you need to hide your visit, follow the advice here.

0800 650 654 24/7 Victims Information Line


If English is not your first language you can have an interpreter when you give your evidence. You do not have to pay for an interpreter.

Apply for an interpreter

If you need an interpreter to help you give evidence in court, follow the court proceedings or to talk to a court victim advisor, you will need to complete a form and take it to the court that is hearing the case before the date of the hearing.

It is a good idea to complete the form as soon as possible before the hearing so that the case is not delayed.

Talk to the police or a court victim advisor if you need help getting an interpreter or filling out the form.

Right to speak official languages

If you’re a witness in court, you have the right to speak Māori or use New Zealand Sign Language in any legal proceedings. If you’re not a witness, you may speak Māori or use New Zealand Sign Language if the judge says you can.

If you intend to speak Māori in court, you will need to complete the form called ‘Notice of Intention to Speak Māori’ available from your local court.

Last modified: