Quick Exit

Click above to quickly exit to another website.

If you need to hide your visit, follow the advice here.

0800 650 654 24/7 Victims Information Line

Support and assistance

It is important to find the support that is right for you. There are agencies in your area who can offer specialist emotional and practical support. Call the Victims Information Line on 0800 650 654 to find out about agencies near you.

Your police victim liaison officer can also help you find a support agency.

Personal support
Victim Support Homicide Support Service(external link) - 0800 VICTIM (0800 842 846)

This is a specialist service to help you and your family and whānau through every part of the process. The police will put you in touch with this service or you can contact Victim Support.

Skylight(external link) - 0800 299 100

Skylight specialises in helping children, young people and their families/whānau through tough times of change, loss, trauma and grief.

Red Raincoat Trust(external link) - (06) 835 7075

Provides support and assistance for families of homicide, including specialised support for court hearings and Parole Board hearings.

Financial support

You can get financial assistance to help with expenses following a death and the costs of attending court. Read about what assistance you may be able to get and current amounts.

ACC(external link) - 0800 101 996

If you have lost a family member as a result of an injury (including homicide or a traffic related death), ACC may be able to provide financial support and funeral grants.

Work and Income(external link) - 0800 559 009

If someone close to you has died, WINZ may be able to help you with immediate and ongoing expenses (this is means tested).

Practical support

To find your nearest funeral director, go to:

Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand (FDANZ)(external link)

The FDANZ has a searchable directory of funeral directors in your area.

Department of Internal Affairs(external link)

Anyone can organise the funeral - not just a funeral director. The Department of Internal Affairs has information on what needs to be done.

Last modified: