Quick Exit

Click above to quickly exit to another website.

If you need to hide your visit, follow the advice here.

0800 650 654 24/7 Victims Information Line

The investigation

This section talks about what happens if you report the sexual violence or sexual assault to the police. For more information see how police investigate crimes and the decision to prosecute on this website.

Reporting the crime

If you have been a recent victim of sexual violence or assault, or are feeling unsafe, call 111 and ask for the police.

If the crime happened some time ago, even years ago, you can still report it. If you decide to report a crime that happened in the past, call your local police station (external link) and ask to speak to a detective. You can take a support person with you when you report a crime.

When you make a report police will:

Investigating the crime

Once you have made your report, a police officer who is trained in sexual assault will investigate (called the 'officer in charge').

As part of the investigation, the officer in charge:

If you have any questions about what is happening, you can contact the officer in charge at any time.

You have the right to be kept informed as the investigation progresses and to be told whether charges are laid and what the charges are.

If you have any concerns about the way your investigation is being handled you can contact the National Sexual Violence Team at Police National Headquarters by email: ASA@police.govt.nz

Last modified: